Xubin (Ben) He, Ph.D
Graduate Program Director
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Virginia Commonwealth University
Electrical & Computer Engineering, University of Rhode Island, 2002
M.A: Computer Science, Huazhong U. of Sci. & Tech., 1997
Science, Huazhong U. of Sci. & Tech., 1995
STAR Lab News
- [2-29-2016] Our paper "Power-aware Checkpointing: Toward the Optimal Checkpointing Interval under Power Capping" has been accepted for presentation at the 46th Annual IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2016), acceptance rate: 58/259=22%. This is a joint work with collaborators at ORNL.
- [11-28-2015] Our paper "Successor: Proactive Cache Warm-up of Destination Hosts in Virtual Machine Migration Contexts" has been accepted for presentation at the IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (IEEE INFOCOM'2016), acceptance rate: 300/1644=18.2%. INFOCOM is a top ranked conference on networking.
- [08-18-2015] NSF CCF Award: 2015-2017, $300k. Our NSF CCF proposal titled "Adaptive Shared Memory Management for Heterogeneous CPU-GPU Architectures" was selected for funding (PI: Weijun Xiao, Co-PI: Xubin He). This project aims to address the challenges in exploring shared memory management schemes for heterogeneous architectures.
- [03-02-2015] Our paper "Reducing Fragmentation for In-line Deduplication Backup Storage via Exploiting Backup History and Cache Knowledge" is accepted for publication by the IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS).
- [02-23-2015] Welcome Professor Dan Feng to visit STAR lab. She is the Associate Dean for Research of the School of Computer Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technoloy (HUST). She is also the Director of the Data Storage and Application Lab at HUST.
- [02-01-2015] Our paper "An Efficient Page-level FTL to Optimize Address Translation in Flash Memory" is accepted for presentation at the European Conference on Computer Systems (Eurosys'2015), acceptance rate: 32/150=21%. Eurosys is a premier conference in computer systems research.
- [01-26-2015] Congratulations to Benjamin and Yuhua who both received a USENIX travel award to attend FAST'15 conference.
- [12-08-2014] Our paper "Design Tradeoffs for Data Deduplication Performance in Backup Workloads" has been accepted for presentation at the 13th USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST'2015), acceptance rate: 28/130=21.5%. This is a joint work with collaborators at HUST. FAST is a premier conference in data storage systems.
- [11-16-2014] Dr. He and two of his graduate students attend the Super Computing conference (SC'14) held in New Orleans. Both students Morgan Stuart and Ben Young presented their research at the 9th Parallel Data Storage workshop as their debut in an international conference.
- [08-08-2014] Our paper "Clique Migration: Affinity Grouping of Virtual Machines for Inter-Cloud Live Migration" receives "Best Student Paper Award" at the 9th IEEE Intl. Conf. on Networking, Architecture and Storage (NAS). Congratulations to Tao, Morgan, and Kun.
- [07-01-2014] Dr. He is invited to give a talk at ORNL on high performance and reliable storage support for big data.
- [04-08-2014] Our two papers titled “FlexECC: Partially Relaxing ECC of MLC SSD for Better Cache Performance” and “Accelerating Restore and Garbage Collection in Deduplication-based Backup Systems via Exploiting Historical Information” have been accepted for publication at the USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC’2014), acceptance rate: 15% (36 out of 241 submissions).
- More news...
School of Engineering, West Hall
601 West Main Street,
Box 843072, Richmond, VA 23284-3072
Office: Room 218
Tel: (804)827-7627, Fax: (804) 827-0006
xhe2 AT vcu DOT edu
Call for papers: IEEE NAS'2016, Long Beach, CA, August 8-10, 2016 (Keynote speakers: Jack Dongarra and Jason Cong)
Dr. Xubin He's research has been mainly sponsored by the U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF). He has authored and co-authored many technical
articles in prestigious journals such as IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Journal of Parallel and
Distributed Computing (JPDC), ACM Transactions on Storage (ToS), and IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure
Computing (TDSC), and at international conferences, including Conference on File and Storage Technologies (FAST), EuroSys, USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS), IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN), IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), IEEE International Conference on Local Area Networks (LCN),
etc. Dr. He has been conducting extensive research in the area of data storage and I/O systems. His research interests include networked storage, big data management, storage cache and disk I/O, high availability and reliable computing. Graduate students who have graduated under his supervision usually work in computer industry or research institutions as computer engineers or design architects. Dr. He has served as a panelist for NSF, also as a general/program chair and a technical committee member for many professional conferences in the field. He received the Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty
Enhancement Award in 2004 and the Sigma Xi Research Award (TTU Chapter) in 2010 and 2005. He is a senior member of the IEEE, a member of the IEEE Computer Society, ACM, and USENIX.
Selected Recent Publications (Full List)
- [USENIX FAST: USENIX Conference on File and Storage Technologies]
- "Design Tradeoffs for Data Deduplication Performance in Backup Workloads", Santa Clara, CA, Feb. 16-19, 2015 (acceptance rate: 28/130=21.5%).
- "Reducing SSD Read Latency via NAND Flash Program and Erase Suspension", San Jose, CA, Feb. 14-17, 2012 (acceptance rate: 26/137=19%).
- [USENIX ATC: USENIX Annual Technical Conference]
- "FlexECC: Partially Relaxing ECC of MLC SSD for Better Cache Performance", Philadelphia, June 17-20, 2014 (acceptance rate: 36/241=15%).
- "Accelerating Restore and Garbage Collection in Deduplication-based Backup Systems via Exploiting Historical Information", Philadelphia, June 17-20, 2014 (acceptance rate: 36/241=15%).
- "Victim Disk First: An Asymmetric Cache to Boost the Performance of Disk Arrays under Faulty Conditions", Portland, OR, June 15-17, 2011 (acceptance rate: 27/180=15%).
- [EuroSys: The European Conference on Computer Systems]
- "An Efficient Page-level FTL to Optimize Address Translation in Flash Memory", France, April 20-24, 2015 (acceptance rate: 32/150=21%)
- "An Aggressive Worn-out Flash Block Management Scheme to Alleviate SSD Performance Degradation", Amsterdam, The Netherlands, April 13-16, 2014 (acceptance rate: 27/147=18%).
- "Delta FTL: Improving SSD Lifetime via Exploiting Content Locality", Bern, Switzerland, April 10-13, 2012 (acceptance rate: 27/178=15%).
- [DSN: IEEE/IFIP International Conference on Dependable Systems and Network]
- "Power-aware Checkpointing: Toward the Optimal Checkpointing Interval under Power Capping", Toulouse, France, June 28-July 1, 2016 (acceptance rate: 58/259=22%).
- "HDP Code: A Horizontal-Diagonal Parity Code to Optimize I/O Load Balancing in RAID-6," Hongkong, China, June 27-June 30, 2011 (acceptance rate: 26/148=17.6%).
- "Code-M: A Non-MDS Erasure Code Scheme to Support Fast Recovery from up to Two-Disk Failures in Storage Systems", Chicago, June 28-July 1, 2010 (acceptance rate: 40/174=23%).
- [IPDPS: IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium]
- "H-Code: A Hybrid MDS Array Code to Optimize Partial Stripe Writes in RAID-6", Anchorage, Alaska, May 16-20, 2011 (acceptance rate: 19.6%)
- “Performance Adaptive UDP for High-Speed Bulk Data Transfer over Dedicated Links”, Miami, FL, 2008 (acceptance rate: 25.6%).