Welcome to the Fall 2016 CMSC 691 course webpage!
Lectures: 12:30 pm - 1:45 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Location: Engineering West Hall 105.
Textbook: Boyd and Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, available online here.
Instructor: Dr. Sevag Gharibian
Email: sgharibian at vcu dot edu
Office Hours: Tues/Thurs 11:30 am - 12:30 pm
All lecture videos will be posted on the Syllabus & Lectures page.
- December 17, 2016Project grades, as well as final course grades, have been posted to Blackboard. It's been a pleasure teaching you this semester. Good luck wherever your research and studies take you next!
- December 15, 2016Grades, as well as solutions, for A4 have been posted on Blackboard.
- November 28, 2016Grades, as well as solutions, for A3 have been posted on Blackboard.
- November 21, 2016I have decided, based on our in-class discussion and the vote held via email, to drop the final exam in favor of giving everyone more time to work on their independent research projects for the course. The updated syllabus has been uploaded to the course website.
- November 17, 2016A4 has been posted and is due Friday, December 2 at 11:59 pm, to be submitted through Blackboard. It is intentionally shorter to allow you time to work on your project.
- November 8, 2016The course project has been posted, and is due Friday, December 9 at midnight via Blackboard.
- November 4, 2016The final exam date has been set, and is Tuesday, December 6, in class (W105) from 12:30 - 1:45.
- October 16, 2016A3 has been posted and is due Friday, November 4 at 11:59 pm, to be submitted through Blackboard.
- October 10, 2016A number of important changes have been made to A2 (hints added, a problem simplified, grade redistribution). Please download the latest version.
- October 3, 2016Assignment 1 solutions are posted on Blackboard.
- October 1, 2016Assignment 2 is posted on the assignments page, and is due Friday, October 14 at 11:59 PM, to be submitted via Blackboard.
- September 23, 2016The deadline for Assignment 1 has been postponed by 12 hours to Friday, September 23 at 11:59 PM, to be submitted via Blackboard.
- September 22, 2016Please note that by popular vote in class today, we decided to forego having a midterm exam and instead shift the midterm's weight onto the assignments.
- September 8, 2016Assignment 1 is posted on the assignments page, and is due Friday, September 23 at noon, to be submitted via Blackboard.
- September 2, 2016Three announcements: (1) A0 solutions are posted on Blackboard under the "Assignments" tab. (2) A0 grades are also up on Blackboard. Please remember that as A0 was a review, I only marked it for completion. Thus, I strongly recommend you look at the solutions and ensure you understand them, as well as get a sense of the level of detail I'm expecting in solutions moving forward. (3) Finally, from A1 onwards, all assignments must be submitted online through Blackboard (via the Assignments link), rather than through email to me. This will make the process less prone to error.
- August 30, 2016Assignment 0 is posted on the assignments page, and is due this Friday, September 2 at noon. (It consists only of elementary Linear Algebra review, and is also intended to get you comfortable with LaTeX if you haven't used it before.)
- August 25, 2016The first lecture's video has been posted under the Syllabus & Lectures page.
- July 5, 2016Welcome to CMSC 691! At the top of this page, you'll find links to pages for announcements, the course syllabus and suggested reading for each class, Blackboard, and the VCU Quantum Computing Lab.