Welcome to the Spring 2017 CMSC 303 course webpage!
Lectures: 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Location: Engineering West Hall 101.
Textbook: Sipser, Introduction to the Theory of Computation, 3rd edition (2nd edition is also fine).
Midterm exam: Tuesday, March 21, 2017, in class, 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm.
Final exam: Thursday, May 4, 2017, in class, 1:00 pm - 3:50 pm.
Instructor: Dr. Sevag Gharibian
Email: sgharibian at vcu dot edu
Office Hours: Tues 3:15 pm - 4:15 pm, Thurs 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Email: henryst at vcu dot edu
Office Hours: F 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Email: ranap at vcu dot edu
Office Hours: M 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm, W 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm (only on Wednesdays the week an assignment is due)
April 13, 2017Two announcements: (1) Course evaluations are now available online; please take a moment to fill these out. (2) A7 has been posted, and is due Thurs Apr 27 in class. Recall that to receive the Latex bonues, you must use the provided A7 template file for your writeup.
- March 30, 2017A6 has been posted and is due Thurs Apr 13 in class.
- March 27, 2017As discussed in class last Thursday, the due date for A5 has been extended to Thursday, March 30 to ensure we cover all the necessary material.
- March 23, 2017A4, midterm exam, and midterm grades have been posted to Blackboard.
- March 16, 2017A5 has been posted and is due Tues March 28 in class. Solutions for A4 are now available on Blackboard.
- March 1, 2017Due to a conflict with CMSC401, the midterm exam date has been moved to Tuesday, Mar 21 in class.
- February 22, 2017The Midterm and Final Exam dates have been posted. Please email Dr. Gharibian if you have any conflicts.
- February 21, 2017Solutions to A2 have been posted on Blackboard under the assignments tab.
- February 9, 2017A3 has been posted, and is due Thurs Feb 23 in class.
- February 1, 2017A1 grades have been posted on Blackboard.
- January 28, 2017Solutions to A1 have been posted on Blackboard.
- January 26, 2017Assignment 2 has been posted and is due Thursday, Feb 9, in-class at the start of class.
- January 19, 2017Since we haven't had a chance to review induction in class today, Assignment 1's due date has been postponed to next Thursday, January 26, in-class at the start of class.
- January 11, 2017Assignment 1 has been posted, and is due Tues, January 24, in-class at the start of class. As this is intended to be a refresher on background material, note it will only be marked for completeness; it is your job to check your answers against the solutions (to be posted after the due date).
- January 1, 2017Welcome to CMSC 303! At the top of this page, you'll find links to pages for announcements, the course syllabus and suggested reading for each class, Blackboard, and the VCU Quantum Computing Lab.
April 8, 2017The mini-project has been posted and is due Tues May 2 in class. NOTE: For A6 inclusive and moving forward, to obtain the latex bonus points, you must use the latex template file for the relevant assignment.