VHDL Education Coverage
In a survey of 71 US universities (representing about half of the EE graduating seniors in 1993), they reported
- 44% have no training on or use of VHDL in any undergraduate EE course
- 45% have no faculty members who can teach VHDL
- 14% of the graduating seniors have a working knowledge of VHDL and only 8% know Verilog
However, in the 1994 USE/DA Standards Survey, 85% of the engineers surveyed were designers and reported
- 55% were familiar with EDIF
- 55% were familiar with VHDL
- 33% were familiar with Verilog
VHDL is an IEEE and U.S. Department of Defense standard for electronic system descriptions. It is also becoming increasingly popular in private industry as experience with the language grows and supporting tools become more widely available. Therefore, to facilitate the transfer of system description information, an understanding of VHDL will become increasingly important. This module provides a first step towards developing a basic comprehension of VHDL.
Copyright the User Society for Electronic Design Automation. Reprinted with permission.