Expressions used as Adjectives
In Tigre there are some expressions that are used to discribe a
character of an individual or a situation. Here are some examples:
1. Entu qeyaH ta = His eye is red. = he is a womanizer.
A short story that goes with this. A man is said to have asked
his son to marry and settle down. The son agreed on the
condition that he will choose his bride, to which the father
replied " deHan tu. En abuka mn Enka qeyeH" translated as " don't
worry, your father's eye is more red than your eye" so the
saying " En abuka mn Enka qeyeh " is a proverb in Tigre,
meaning that one will do a better job and knows what he is
2. anfu Hachir tu = he has a short nose = he gets angry very easily.
aHmed anfu Hachir tu = Ahmed gets angy very easily.
3. ediehu Trqt ta = he has a hole in his hand= he is a spender.
4. ediehu krit ta = his hand is put down = he has the habit of
5. ediehu Tlqt ta = his hand is loose(opposite to tied up) = he is
6. kebdu Selam ta = his stomach is black = he is not honest
7. kebdu reqaq ta = his stomach is weak = he is a coward
8. kebdu beHar ta = his stomach is a sea = he is not easily disturbed
9. nsalu reym tu = his tounge is long = he talks too much ( about
things that does not
concern him); he is abusive.
10. afuhu Truq tu = he has a hole in his mouth= he can not keep a
11. Sgadu SnoE tu = he has a stiff neck = he is rigid; he is stubborn.
he is not easily convinced.
12. amEl Selam = black day = sad day ;
13. amEl SaEda = white day = blessed day.
End of Lesson 34
This material is for dehai use only;
thus, it can not be distributed in any form.
© Omar M. Kekia. All Rights Reserved.
Write Your Comments to Omar M.Kekia