My research focus primarily focuses on the design and analysis of experiments for quality improvement. Of exceptional interest to me are the areas of sequential experimentation and response surface methods. Experiments are regularly performed by practitioners and researchers in many diverse fields of study with the common objective of utilizing experimental data to more fully understand some system, process, organization, etc. under study. Ultimately, my goal is to develop methodologies/tools for the purposes of model building, process characterization/optimization, and quality improvement that are user-friendly and that aid an experimenter in more readily understanding their results.
1. Guess, F.M., Edwards, D.J., Pickrell, T. and Young, T.M. (2003). “Exploring Graphically and Statistically the Reliability of Medium Density Fiberboard”. International Journal of Reliability and Applications, 4(4), 97-110.
2. Edwards, D.J. and Mee, R.W. (2008). “Empirically Determined p-values for Lenth t-statistics”. Journal of Quality Technology, 40(4), 368-380.
3. Steele, J.C., Guess, F.M, Young, T.M. and Edwards, D.J. (2010). “Mean Residual Life.” International Encyclopedia of Statistical Science, Part 13, 791-792, Springer, New York. DOI 10.1007/978-3-642-04898-2_35.
4. Edwards, D.J., Guess, F.M. and Young, T.M. (2011). “Bootstrap Confidence Intervals for Estimating Percentiles of Reliability of Modern Engineered Wood”. Wood Science and Technology, 45(3), 533-546.
5. Edwards, D.J. and Truong, D.H.Q. (2011). “A Comparison of Designs for One-Step Screening and Response Surface Estimation”. Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 27(8), 1009-1024.
6. Edwards, D.J. and Fuerte, J.N. (2011) “Compromise Ascent Directions for Multiple Response Applications”. Quality and Reliability Engineering International, 27(8), 1107-1118.
7. Edwards, D.J. and Mee, R.W. (2011). “Supersaturated Designs: Are Our Results Significant?” Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, 55(9), 2652-2664.
8. Edwards, D.J. (2011). “Optimal Semifoldover Plans for Two-Level Orthogonal Designs”. Technometrics, 53(3), 274-284.
9. Edwards, D.J. and Mee, R.W. (2011). “Fractional Box-Behnken Designs”. Journal of Quality Technology, 43(4), 288-306.
10. Edwards, D.J., León, R.V., Young, T.M., Guess, F.M., and Crookston, K.A. (2012). “Comparison of Two Wood Plastic Composite Extruders Using Bootstrap Confidence Intervals on Measurements of Sample Failure Data”. Quality Engineering, 25(1), 23-33.
11. La Rosa, P.S., Brooks, J.P, Deych, E., Boone, E.L., Edwards, D.J., Wang, Q., Sodergen, E., Weinstock, G., and Shannon, B. (2012). “Power Calculations for Taxonomical-Based Analysis of Human Microbiome Data”. PLoS ONE, 7(12):e52078.
12. Srinivasan, S., Sorrell, T.P., Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., and Diehl, R.L. (2013). “Workforce Assessment for an Urban Police Department: An Analytics Approach to Estimate Patrol Staffing”. Policing: An International Journal of Police Strategies and Management, 36(4), 702-718.
13. Edwards, D.J. and Brooks, J.P. (2014). “Alternative Foldover Plans for Two-Level Nonregular Designs”. Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation, 43(1), 209-224.
14. Edwards, D.J., Guess, F.M., León, R.V., Young, T.M., and Crookston, K.A. (2014). “Improving Estimates of Critical Percentiles by Induced Censoring”. Reliability Engineering and System Safety, 123, 47-56.
15. Edwards, D.J. and Kelly, K.D. (2014). “Selecting a D-optimal Follow-Up Design Among Candidate Choices”. Quality Engineering, 26, 233-245.
16. Edwards, D.J. (2014). “Follow-up Experiments for Two-Level Fractional Factorial Designs Via Double Semifoldover”. Metrika, 77, 483-507.
17. Edwards, D.J., Weese, M.L. and Palmer, G.A. (2014). “Comparing Methods for Design Follow-up: Revisiting a Metal-Cutting Case Study”. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry, 30, 464-478.
18. Brooks, J.P., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Girerd, P.H., Edwards, D.J., Strauss, J.F., Buck, G.A., Jefferson, K.K. (2014). “Differences in the vaginal microbiome and bacterial vaginosis in women of African versus European ancestry”. Microbiology, 160, 2272-2282.
19. The Integrative HMP Research Network Consortium (including Edwards, D.J.) (2014). “The Integrative Human Microbiome Project: Dynamic Analysis of Microbiome-Host Omics Profiles during Periods of Human Health and Disease.” Cell Host and Microbe, 16(3), 276-289.
20. Weese, M.L., Smucker, B.J., and Edwards, D.J. (2015). “Searching for Powerful Supersaturated Designs”. Journal of Quality Technology, 47(1), 66-84.
21. Young, T.M., León, R.V., Chen, C.H., Chen, W., Guess, F.M., Edwards, D.J. (2015). “Robustly Estimating Lower Percentiles when Observations are Costly”. Quality Engineering, 27(3), 361-373 .
22. Wilson, S. R., Leonard, R. D., Edwards, D. J., Swieringa, K. A., and Murdoch, J. L. (2015). “Model Specification and Confidence Intervals for Voice Communication”. Quality Engineering, 27(4), 1-14.
23. Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Harwich, Jr., M.D., Rivera, M.C., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Reris, R.A., Sheth, N.U., Huang, B., Girerd, P.; Jefferson, K.K., Buck, G.A. (2015). “The Truth about Metagenomics: Quantifying and Counteracting Bias in 16S rRNA Studies”. BMC Microbiology, 15:66.
24. Mee, R.W., Schoen, E.R., and Edwards, D.J. (2015). “Selecting a Nonregular Fractional Factorial Design for Screening.” Technometrics, In Press.
25. Zeng, Y., Young, T.M, Edwards, D.J., Guess, F.M., and Chen, C.-H. (2016). “Case Studies: A Study of Missing Data Imputation in Predictive Modeling of a Wood Composite Manufacturing Process.” Journal of Quality Technology, 48(3), 284-296..
26. Wilson, S.R., Swieringa, K.A., Leonard, R.D., Freitag, E., and Edwards, D.J. (2017). “Statistical Engineering Approach to Improve the Realism of Computer Simulated Experiments with Trajectory Clustering.” Quality Engineering, In Press.
27. Weese, M.L, Edwards, D.J., and Smucker, B.J. (2017). Powerful Supersaturated Designs when Effect Directions are Known". Journal of Quality Technology, In Press.
28. Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Blithe, D., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Strauss, J.F., Buck, G.A., and Jefferson, K.K. (2017). Effects of Combined Oral Contraceptives, Depot Medroxyprogesterone Acetate, and the Levonorgestrel-releasing Intrauterine System on the Vaginal Microbiome." Contraception, In Press.
29. Wilson, S.R., Leonard, R.D., Edwards, D.J., Swieringa, K.A., and Underwood, M.C. (2017+). “Case Studies: Inference of Under-Dispersed Data using Quasi-Poisson Regression.” Submitted.
30. Farhat, N.J., Boone, E.L., and Edwards, D.J. (2016+). “A New Method for Determining the Benchmark Dose Tolerable Region and Endpoint Probabilities for Toxicology Experiments.” Submitted.
31. Ellington, A., Whitenack, J., and Edwards, D.J. (2017). Effectively Coaching Middle School Teachers: A Case for Teacher and Student Learning." Submitted.
32. Leonard, R.D. and Edwards, D.J. (2017). Bayesian D-Optimal Screening Experiments with Partial Replication." Submitted.
33. Jean, S., Huang, B., Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Fettweis, J.M., Serrano, M.G., Sheth, N.U., Smirnova, E., Huzurbazar, S., Strauss, J.F., Jefferson, K.K., and Buck, G.A. (2017). Multi-omic profiles discriminate characteristics of the vaginal environment in early pregnancy." Submitted.
34. Ockuly, R.A., Weese, M.L., Smucker, B.J., Edwards, D.J., and Le, C. (2017). Response Surface Experiments: A Meta-Analysis." Submitted.
35. Gryder, R.W., Wilson, S.R., Swieringa, K., and Edwards, D.J. (2017). Space-Filling Designs for Multi-Layered Continuous Nested Factors". Submitted.
36. Brooks, J.P., Buck, G.A., Chen, G., Diao, L., Edwards, D.J., Fettweis, J.M., Huzurbazar, S., Rakitin, A., Satten, G.A., Smirnova, E., Waks, Z., Wright, M.L., Yanover, C., and Zhou, Y.-H. (2017). “Changes in Vaginal Community State Types Reflect Major Shifts in the Microbiome". Submitted.
D.J., Guess, F.M. and Young, T.M.
(2003). “Improving and Managing Information Quality in
2. Brooks, J.P., Rivera, M., Boone, E.L., Edwards, D.J., Wang, Q., LaRosa, P. and Shannon, W. (2011). “Methods for the Analysis of Microbiome Data”. Proceedings of the 6th INFORMS Workshop on Data Mining and Health Informatics (DM-HI2011).
3. Brooks, J.P., Edwards, D.J., Sorrell, T.P., Srinivasan, S. and Diehl, R.L. (2011). “Simulating Calls for an Urban Police Department”. Proceedings of the 2011 Winter Simulation Conference (WSC). 1770-1777.