Ethnically Chinese, raised in Southern California.
My name is pronounced (chEHng lee); Cheng is my first name and Ly (李) is my last name.
08/2013 – Present Assistant Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Statistical Sciences
and Operations Research.
10/2011 – 06/2013 Quantitative Modeler at The PNC Financial Services Group.
08/2010 – 10/2011 Postdoctoral Fellow with Brent Doiron at The University of Pittsburgh.
08/2007 – 07/2010 NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (MSPRF), with Bard
Ermentrout at The University of Pittsburgh.
• M.S. in Mathematics, Courant Institute (NYU), September 2004.
• B.S. in Applied Mathematics, UCLA, June 2002.
Honors and Awards
• Simons Foundation Collaboration Grant for Mathematicians, 2015-2020.
• NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 2007-2010.
• NDSEG (DoD) Fellowship, Courant Institute, 2003-2006.
• MacCracken Fellowship, Courant Institute, 2002-2007.
• NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (GRFP) Honorable Mention, 2003.
• Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, Eta of California, 2002.
• Summa Cum Laude, Highest Departmental Honors, College Honors, UCLA, 2002.
• Harbison Scholarship (full), UCLA, 1998-2002.
Memberships: SIAM (Lifetime), Society for Neuroscience, Virginia Academy of Sciences (Lifetime)
• Referee for: PLoS Computational Biology, Journal of Neurophysiology, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, Journal of Computational Neuroscience, Neural Computation, Journal of Mathematical Biology, PLoS ONE, Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering.
• Referee for submissions to the International Conference on Mathematical Neuroscience (ICMNS) in 2017.
• Referee for poster submissions to COSYNE in 2014, 2015, 2017.
• Referee for presentations at the 2014 Virginia Junior Academy of Sciences meeting.
• Organizer for mini-symposium on “Stochastic Cellular Dynamics” at the SIAM Life Sciences meeting
• TA for summer school on “Mathematics for Biological Networks” at the University of Victoria