Ethnically Chinese, raised in Southern California.
My name is pronounced (chEHng lee); Cheng is my first name and Ly (李) is my last name.
08/2013 – Present Assistant Professor at Virginia Commonwealth University, Department of Statistical Sciences
and Operations Research.
10/2011 – 06/2013 Quantitative Modeler at The PNC Financial Services Group.
08/2010 – 10/2011 Postdoctoral Fellow with Brent Doiron at The University of Pittsburgh.
08/2007 – 07/2010 NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (MSPRF), with Bard
Ermentrout at The University of Pittsburgh.
• M.S. in Mathematics, Courant Institute (NYU), September 2004.
• B.S. in Applied Mathematics, UCLA, June 2002.
Honors and Awards
• Simons Foundation Collaboration Grant for Mathematicians, 2015-2020.
• NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, 2007-2010.
• NDSEG (DoD) Fellowship, Courant Institute, 2003-2006.
• MacCracken Fellowship, Courant Institute, 2002-2007.
• NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (GRFP) Honorable Mention, 2003.
• Phi Beta Kappa, National Honor Society, Eta of California, 2002.
• Summa Cum Laude, Highest Departmental Honors, College Honors, UCLA, 2002.
• Harbison Scholarship (full), UCLA, 1998-2002.
Memberships: SIAM (Lifetime), Society for Mathematical Biology, Virginia Academy of Sciences (Lifetime)
• Referee for: PLoS Computational Biology, Journal of Neurophysiology, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems, Journal of Computational Neuroscience, Neural Computation, Journal of Mathematical Biology, PLoS ONE, Mathematical Biosciences and Engineering, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology.
• Referee for submissions to the International Conference on Mathematical Neuroscience (ICMNS) in 2017, 2019.
• Referee for poster submissions to COSYNE in 2014, 2015, 2017.
• Referee for presentations at the 2014 Virginia Junior Academy of Sciences meeting.
• Organizer for mini-symposium on “Stochastic Cellular Dynamics” at the SIAM Life Sciences meeting (August 2010).
• TA for summer school on “Mathematics for Biological Networks” at the University of Victoria (Summer 2010).