Questions 2126 are based on an excerpt from an orchestral work. The excerpt will be played three times. Before listening to the music for the first time, please read Questions 2126.
21. The prominent solo instrument at the beginning of the excerpt is
(A) a clarinet
(B) a bassoon
(C) an oboe
(D) a French horn
22. The meter is best described as
(A) simple duple
(B) simple triple
(C) compound duple
(D) compound triple
23. The rhythm at the beginning is best described as
(A) dotted patterns in the accompaniment, even notes in the solo
(B) dotted patterns in the solo, even notes in the accompaniment
(C) dotted patterns imitated throughout the ensemble
(D) even notes used throughout the ensemble
24. The excerpt consists of three large phrases. The relationship of these
phrases to each other is best described as
(A) a a' a''
(B) a a' b
(C) a b b'
(D) a b c
25. The latter part of the first phrase incorporates which of the following?
(A) Repetition of melodic fragments and embellishment of the tonic chord
(B) Repetition of melodic fragments and embellishment of the dominant chord
(C) Alternation of dominant and subdominant chords
(D) Alternation of tonic and subdominant chords
26. Which of the following describes the modality of the three phrases?
(A) All phrases are major.
(B) All phrases are minor.
(C) The first two phrases are minor; the third is major.
(D) The first two phrases are major; the third is minor.