Chapter 24, Example 1, Track 32
The following questions are based on the audio excerpt that you can download here.
1. The excerpt begins with which two melodic intervals?
- m3, M7
- m3, m7
- M3, M7
- M3, m7
2. Which instruments comprise the ensemble?
- oboe, flute, saxophone, bass clarinet, horn, trumpet, and trombone
- oboes, flutes, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, and trombone
- flute, clarinet, bassoons, trumpets, and trombones
- flute, clarinets, bass clarinet, trumpets, trombone, and tuba
3. How are the second and third statements related? The third statement
- follows the second in canon;
- is a melodic inversion of the second;
- is a rhythmic augmentation of the second;
- is a rhythmic diminution of the second.
4. Beginning with its fourth statement, the theme is developed in all of the following ways except which?
- The opening pitch intervals are larger.
- Only the initial portion is performed.
- It is sequenced down by step.
- It is now in compound meter.
5. The excerpts' final cadence features which of the following items?
- a IV-I progression
- mode mixture (minor tonic)
- an augmented-sixth chord
- a Phrygian resolution
6. The articulation heard throughout the excerpt is
7. This excerpt is a parody of the music of which earlier period?